Tuesday 3 July 2007

St Petersburg, July...

This trip to Rusia has made me realise a few things:

1) With all the security issues in the UK at the moment, I now see what it is about "us Brits" that others sometimes comment on. We're not so worried about something happening, more we are "a bit miffed" that it means we have to queue for longer to go somewhere. I think this is wonderful! It hows that we're not bullied into submission be it by governments, terrorists, officious jobs-worth, etc. we just bear it. :)

2) Last time I came to Russia, it was to Mosow. I can't describe why, but I never felt "safe" while I was there, and I can't see myself going there for a holiday (the last trip was work related). This trip to St Petersburg, however, has been great. The people have all been welcoming, and as you can see from the photos, there's plenty to see. I think I will have to change my attitude towards coming here for myself... (it's still bl**dy difficult to get visa, though!)


3) New rule to self: Unless absolutely necessary, don't fly somewhere that needs connecting flights! This must be only the fourth time I've done it over the years, and it just gets worse and worse.

4) It is just weird to still have evening "dusk light" at 11pm!

No comments: